Saturday, January 2, 2010

Temple Square Lights & Stuff

The Christmas season never feels quite the same to me without a visit to Temple Square. When we lived out of state I was always pleased when we managed to fit that in during our visit home. So! I was excited when we went during the middle of this December. We were able to take our boys and go with Mark's parents, his younger brother Dave, his older sister Rachel & her son Henry. The lights were pretty, but it was also nice to do something which emphasized the reason for the season. At the center of Temple Square is a nativity with a narrator reading the story of the birth of the Christ Child. Unfortunately, it didn't captivate our 2 & 3 year old's attention very long, but I found Noah's repetitive request during the nativity irresistible to grant...he was begging to go see the statue of Christ that he could see through the large glass window's of one of the visitors' centers. How do you say no to that?

So, we headed over to that visitors' center and up the ramp to go see the beautiful, white marble Christus Statue. Since I grew up here in Utah (and have been to Temple Square a countless number of times) I don't remember the first time that I saw that huge, impressive statue...I just always remember loving it - and who it represents. I know this is a very feeble attempt to express my feelings on such the huge and deeply personal topic, but particularly at this time of year I want to briefly record the feelings of adoration that I have for my Savior. I am so grateful not only for His birth, but for the life He lived here on earth and the examples He set for all of us. While I fall extremely short of this goal, I'm grateful to have a perfect example of who to strive to live like and be like. I love Him, and am so humbled by His love & sacrifices for me. So! I hope that all of us who celebrate Christmas took the time to remember the real reason for the season!

Now onto the rest of our Temple Square visit! After wandering through Temple Square we went out to the Main Street Plaza where the reflecting pool had (among floating lights) a beautiful rendition of Mary, Joseph, and the baby Jesus in the manger. Here's a quick shot of Mark and I in front of the reflecting pool.

Uncle David and Lincoln.

Mark's parents with our nephew Henry. I just love the way that Henry is looking up at them so sweetly.

Noah and Henry with Grandpa & Grandma.

Noah did not want to be drug back over for one more picture. Here his is by Henry (wearing the super-pout)...I had to include this one.

Uncle Dave with Henry & Lincoln.

Henry, Lincoln, David & Noah.

All of us!

After Temple Square we headed to Dave's house for some festivities. Here are the boys playing while Rachel & David got things ready in the kitchen.

Mark helping Noah "play" Dave's little guitar.

And when all else fails to entertain...out with the candy!

Grandma Mary reading books to Noah and Lincoln.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the tasty spread that we enjoyed, but it was wonderful! After that we sang some songs and opened some presents! Here is Noah helping Henry open a gift.

And Lincoln opening a Toy Story game - look at that expression of delight! He was so excited (both boys were)!
Such a wonderful night.

1 comment:

Jana said...

It looks like a "lovely" night, as Noah would say! Such nice memories for all the boys. You and Mark always do a great job with that.